[AR] Re: magnetic apogee sensor

  • From: Pierce Nichols <piercenichols@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 14:02:03 -0700

There are numerous three-axis magnetometer chips on the market, many of
which also have three-axis accelerometers in the same package. Almost all
of them do the ADC on the chip and have a digital interface, typically I2C.
Price is a buck or two in singles. However, they are almost always in
obnoxious to solder packages, like QFNs (aka Quite F*cking Nasty).
Sparkfun, Adafruit, Seeed, and others sell breakout boards, often packaged
with MEMS gyros as well. You'll need to add a microcontroller for apogee
detections etc.

$150 is a lot for what looks like a magnetometer chip, a small
microcontroller, and a firing circuit. However, it's in line with the price
of other RDAS stuff. I guess the HPR market isn't big enough to support the
kind of volume and competition that would bring prices down.

-p

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM, John Dom <johndom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://aeroconsystems.com/cart/flight-avionics/r-das-magnetic-orientation-sensor/

is there an integrated circuit version (chip) on the market by now for the
magnetic sensor copper circuit above?

Thank you.

jd