[AR] Re: magnetic apogee sensor

  • From: "John Dom" <johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:11:02 +0200

Ben Brockert wrote on 180715:

what's the use case that requires a magnetic apogee sensor? There are plenty
of barometric or accelerometer-based apogee sensors on the market, some
incredibly small, and they're quite reliable.

Plenty and on the market, I only need one! It need indeed not be a magnetic
apogee sensor circuit capable to fire a squib or drive a servomotor. I am just
exploring cheap reliable sensor actuator circuits on the market ready for use.
Even Apogee does not have such and the item of Aerotech costs 150 USD and is an
RDAS dongle . So should you know better, please mention a sensr/PCB type &
company producing apogee actuators, NOT REQUIRING advanced (to me) electronics
circuitry design and tedious risky soldering jobs.

As far as I am slowly finding out, barometric, accelerometric or even such 3D
sensors record or transmit trajectory data like apogee which are only useful
for post-flight analysis. Giving nice graphs to point out when apogee occurred
in time, later on. But AFAIK, they are not actuators which can fire the squib
near apogee time. Most rocketeers I know, familiar with nineties prints and
code like RDAS report nice altimeter graphs. But their parachute squib is fired
by... a timer! Apogee time preset by trajectory simulation software. Reliable?

So far the only cheap real time apogee actuators I came across are ingenious
metal ball or micro ball tilt sensors. No µprocessor fuss required. If they
are reliable I still have to find out next month or so.

jd