[AR] Re: [UK OFFICIAL] Moon Express - HTP/kero

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 17:38:13 -0400 (EDT)

I wrote:

I remember hydrazine thrusters had to be preheated.

Early ones did. It was the development of cold-start hydrazine catalysts that caused people to largely abandon HTP...

I remember a discussion of one of the early Mariner midcourse-correction propulsion systems, I think it was, that was a bit odd. It was basically a hydrazine monoprop system, but it also had a tiny N2O4 tank! It dated from just before the first cold-start catalysts; it ran briefly in biprop mode to heat up its catalyst bed, and then transitioned to monoprop operation for the main burn!