[AR] Re: ORS-4 ("Super Strypi") Hawaii launch delayed

  • From: Anthony Cesaroni <acesaroni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 21:56:15 -0500

From the actual control room voice recorders at the time of the event on that
launch "expletive deleted solids" . Look it up.
Don't get me wrong, I manufacture a lot of solid rocket motors. From small to
sub-orbital, over 16K units last year.
Anthony

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 3, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

There was also that Delta 2 out of the Cape some years later that
disintegrated spectacularly when one of the solid strap-ons blew.

On 11/3/2015 7:28 PM, Rand Simberg wrote:
Like the 34D right after the Challenger loss, at Vandenberg, which could
have killed a lot of people in Lompoc if the wind had been blowing a
different direction?

On 2015-11-03 12:47, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
Bill - where in that do you count liquid boosters that failed due to a
solid strap-on failure? I recall several such even without looking up
the records, which suggests this may be a statistically worthwhile
subcategory to break out.

Henry

On 11/3/2015 11:26 AM, rcktman (Redacted sender rcktman for DMARC) wrote:
Uwe:

The data set of all launches to orbit 1980 - 2010 shows solid rockets
having about 1/2 the failure rate of liquid rockets.

Bill

Sent from my Commodore 64.