[AR] Re: Cubesats orbital grenades ?

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:23:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017, Galejs, Robert - 1007 - MITLL wrote:

One obvious counter-example: If you are trying to get high resolution ground images from space, you need optical apertures larger than cubesats can handle . From 300 km altitude at nadir, you'd need a 2 ft diameter circular aperture for 1 ft resolution at 550 nm. That's hard to fit on a cube sat...

In principle that can be overcome using formation flying and imaging interferometry, but that is *MUCH* easier said than done, especially in visible wavelengths. (The astronomers have enough trouble making it work in near-IR -- where the longer wavelengths make everything easier -- with all the telescopes bolted firmly to solid rock.)

And then square and cube that if you're also trying to look at something relatively faint, i.e. looking up instead of down. Imaging interferometry needs enough photons per millisecond to form detectable interference fringes, so it pretty much works only on bright sources. For dim stuff, you've got to gather photons the old-fashioned way if you want results. Especially if you want to do spectroscopy or zillion-pixel imaging: the finer you slice the photons, the more of them you need.

Our BRITE astronomy nanosats do good astrophysics, but the small apertures do limit them to working only on fairly bright stars; our first satellite, MOST, did better but at the cost of being a 53kg microsat. (We could make it smaller now, but I don't know if it could go into a 12U cubesat, and just its telescope alone is rather bigger than a 3U.)

Sometimes there is no substitute for aperture. And that applies to radio too -- when working with faint signals or long distances or high data rates, you quickly find yourself needing dishes or long helixes or whatever on the satellite, not just little omni antennas. And those are sized by the radio wavelength and can't shrink without losing performance.