[ARMini-support] PhotoFix for Cortex A9 machines (and maybe A8)

  • From: "Chris Bell (Lists)" <chris.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:03:53 +0000 (GMT)

Chris Bell (Lists) <chris.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chris Bell (Lists) <chris.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Has anyone had any success manipulating photos using a 'fixed'
> > > version of Photodesk on an ARMiniX or PandaRO?  If so, which version
> > > Photodesk and which version OS?  I haven't had much luck.

> > Oddly, I never needed any fix for using Photodesk on my ARMiniX - at
> > least not that I remember. That's Photodesk 3.12 (2012/04/22) on an
> > ARMiniX with RISCOS 5.21.

> Well, what d'ya know?  I've just re-tried an unfixed version (3.12,
> 2012/04/22) under OS 5.21 (14-Feb-15) with AemulorPro (2.33) and it
> almost worked.  I had much less success a year ago under an earlier OS.

> Now, since the 2 versions crash doing very different things, maybe some
> diligent experimenting will reveal a combination of bits from each one
> which is reliable.  I'll report back if/when I succeed!

It DOES work and I'm a happy man!!!

I've been manipulating photos for years, using mainly DPlngScan, but this
lacks a few facilities which I'd hoped PhotoDesk would fill.  However I
found PD too unreliable a year ago (using an earlier OS version) and gave
up...  until this afternoon, when I've been having a lot of success.
Hooray!

I'm using virgin PhotoDesk 3.12 under OS 5.21 (14-Feb-15) with AemulorPro
(2.33) on a PandaRO.  What I thought was a crash yesterday (a seemingly
never-ending hourglass) turns out to have simply been my own impatience -
some large photo transformations take a LONG time and I should simply have
waited longer.

One problem is that !PDF won't display the PDF Manual while AemulorPro is
running, but the much slower !GView will - once again, patience is what's
called for!

I regret that !PhotoFix didn't work for me.  The fixed app usually (why
not all the time?) crashed on loading.  I did get it to work once,
however, and even managed a simple image transformation, but only after
reverting to a virgin !Boot with nothing else running.  The next time I
tried exactly the same sequence, it crashed.

PhotoDesk is going to take a little while to master, especially since the
user-interface isn't as intuitive as it might be.  But it works and I can
now do things to photos which I couldn't do before - for example
correcting parallax distortion and leveling the horizon without any
guesswork.

I hope this feedback is helpful to others.

Chris Bell.