Re: [ARMini-support] armini-support Digest V1 #114

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:50:13 +0000 (GMT)

On 11 Nov, Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <20131111061002.7FDAF240D7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
[snip]
> One thing occurs to me. Your blank screen may be just that your monitor
> cannot cope with the frame refresh rate.

That seems unlikely in this case for various reasons. e.g.

IIRC The monitor specs say it works from 50Hz upwards as an 'HD' display.

With my Iyonix it is quite happy with 1920 x 1080 at *60Hz*.

I mention other reasons below.

The problem so far as the monitor is concerned is that it won't work below
50Hz frame rate. Whereas the ARMiniX is probably best used at lower frame
rates.

So I'd agree that the problem may be due to the modes which a PandaBoard
can drive are best kept below 50Hz, but the monitor wants 50Hz or more.
Hence they don't really make an ideal match.

For that reason I may well decide to change monitor.

> I have a Sony monitor which actually displays a message quoting the
> horizontal and vertical frequency of a signal it cannot display (so you
> know the computer is working OK, just that it is out of spec for the
> monitor.

Yes. Mine also does that when it decides the input is "out of range". I see
that when I experimented with modes.

But that does *not* appear in the situation I am describing. So I conclude
that the monitor is happy with 'HD' 50Hz. But that - at startup - the
ARMiniX with the current OS can't quite produced it on every occasion
*since* I started using the latest OS.

Note also two other points:

I didn't get the problem at all until started using the most recent OS.

I can startup in a lower mode and then switch mode to 'HD' 50Hz without a
problem.

So I suspect that the problem is due to some special situation the machine
is in for a short time during launching the desktop mode at startup. But
not at other times. And this is down to some change in the OS. It probably
wouldn't affect anyone who was using a mode that wasn't 'on the edge'. In
general I expect people will be using lower frame rates. e.g. My wife uses
her ARMiniX with HD at, I think, 24Hz. Certainly at a much lower rate
because she has a different monitor.

> Your problem may simply be that you need a new monitor (or need to use
> a better MDF)  and that there is nothing wrong with the computer.

I think that situation is more complex than that. "The computer" isn't a
fixed entity as we have seen. Nor have I said that anything is "wrong" with
it in such a simplistic manner. The reality seems like the "computer" and
monitor are not at present an ideal match in this specific respect. FWIW
Andrew and I did discuss such matters before I bought it and I knew that I
might need or decide to change monitor in due time.

If you have a "better" MDF I'd be happy to try it. Similarly if anyone else
has an HD 50Hz mode MDF.

Otherwise I may well decide to change monitor. It is something I'm
considering. But as yet doing as I describe above seems to do the trick.

Jim