Re: [ARMini-support] armini-support Digest V1 #114

  • From: Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:35:49 GMT

In message <20131111061002.7FDAF240D7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> armini-support Digest   Sun, 10 Nov 2013        Volume: 01  Issue: 114

> In This Issue:
>                 Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

> From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:33:49 +0000 (GMT)
> Subject: Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

> On 07 Nov, Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I just had to restart my ARMiniX *three* times before it gave me a
>> screen display OK. My strong impression is that something is going wrong
>> at the 'display manager' stage.

> Just to update people on this as it may be helpful. I've not had (yet!) a
> reoccurance of the 'indefinite duration blank screen after seeing the init
> sequence' for a few days. This *may* be because the following has dodged
> the problem. If so, may be useful for others to know.

> I was booting up into an 'HD' desktop screen mode of 1920 x 1080 16m 50Hz.

> I changed this so I now bootup into a desktop mode of 1680 x 1050 16m 56Hz.
> This has a higher frame rate but a lower pixel rate. SInce doing this every
> bootup - so far - has been OK.

> Once booted I can run an obey file to switch to the 'HD' mode. This has
> also worked OK.

> At present I suspect that the 'HD' mode is just on the edge of being 'too
> much'. And the newer version of the OS may have slightly altered where this
> edge resides, making the problems I got show up more often.

> Of course, Sod's Law means that shortly after I send this the problem will
> arise again! But failing that, no news can be taken as good news.

> Jim
One thing occurs to me. Your blank screen may be just that your
monitor cannot cope with the frame refresh rate. Monitors focused on
having a high frame refresh rate as being a 'good thing' (to reduce
flicker) but as LCD monitors took over, this was no longer so
important. Meanwhile some computers (like beagleboard) started to
appear which could only manage lower frame refresh rates at their
higher resolutions and, of course, LCD monitors have a fixed pixel
resolution unlike CRTs.

I have a Sony monitor which actually displays a message quoting the
horizontal and vertical frequency of a signal it cannot display (so
you know the computer is working OK, just that it is out of spec for
the monitor.

Your problem may simply be that you need a new monitor (or need to use
a better MDF)  and that there is nothing wrong with the computer.

--
Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>