Re: [ARMini-support] Wifi on ARMBook?

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:43:09 +0100

On 12/09/2020 10:09, David Gee wrote:

Some LCD panels can display more than one resolution—my HP laptop (which now runs Linux) I have set to 1600 x 900 instead of its native 1920 x 1080 and it's much easier than at its native resolution. The ARMbook can't be set successfully to other resolutions in RISC OS—

RISC OS can be set to any resolution assuming you have a suitable MDF and are not using AnyMode (Pi only).

I wonder this can be done in Linux (I only run mine in RO). This
would tell whether the limitation is in the hardware or in the RO
drivers.
You don't need to do it in Linux, just about every Linux desktop allows you to change the size of fonts and icons, precisely so you do not have to drive your monitor at a non native resolution, which results in horrible fuzziness.

If the hardware only supports native resolution then the OS would
need to do scaling. This is effectively what "Big Mode"
does—everything is doubled in size.Apple do the same, by making the
resolution of the screen twice what it would have been; on the
current MacBook Air, the resolution is 2560 x 2600.
RISC OS can do this, either add a EX0 EY0 to the string in the Display Manager menu mode box. There's probably a way of setting that permanently in the MDF but I can't recall right now.

If you need/want fractional scaling, things get trickier. With control of the hardware, Apple don't (need to) do this. Windows 10 does attempt this; it has improved over time but is still not perfect on some apps—including Ovation Pro. The GNOME desktop in Linux now supports it, but it has to be turned on specially—this suggests it might not work too well.

RISC OS can also do it with AnyMode on the Raspberry Pi, which allows it to generate the native resolution of the monitor and scale the current mode to fit. It is still fuzzy, but has he advantage that you can do resolutions them monitor doesn't support, and avoids some monitors incredibly slow response to resolution changes.

Sounds like this be useful to implement on the ARMbook.

I think 1920 x 1080 really isn't a suitable resolution for most laptops—too small to be seen easily, and not high enough a resolution for doubling up to work well. At least the ARMbook lets you change the resolution quickly—even if not everything doubled in size in Big Mode (for example, bitmapped fonts in editors—but the text in StrongEd's "list of found" does double in size…)

I always find RISC OS looks very low resolution compared to Windows and Linux, as the default desktop font size is much bigger. I got a higher resolution monitor (2560x1440 up from 1920x1200) so RISC OS looks better, and then turned the font size up on the other OSs to compensate.

Cheers
---David

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +44-(0)7974 108301

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group,
visit //www.freelists.org/list/armini-support
List-related queries to info@xxxxxxxxxxxx