Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini OS 4 update release - 1Ghz and faster boot

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:07:53 +0100

In message <528565c6f7alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for this update. It's working well on my BB-xm revB.

> Does this OS version detect whether it is installed on an earlier non-xm
> Beagleboard and set the speed accordingly? If not are there any problems
> with using the higher clock speed on one as I thought that the maximum
> speed recommended on those was 600Mhz. I believe you have at least one
> subscriber with one.

I believe it requires the power-management chip to operate, and
utilises its capabilities.  Since the non-xM version wouldn't report
such capability, it shouldn't use it, so I wouldn't expect any
problems.

One of the reasons that this has taken a while is that it is
implemented "properly" using the power management chip, rather than as
a "just run the CPU at 1Ghz" bodge.

However, I should stress that we don't have a non-xM board here to
test on, so I cannot make any guarantees.  We're continuing to make OS
update 3 available for those cautious about moving to OS update 4, as
OS update 3 is a "long term support" version, to borrow from Ubuntu's
parlance.  Since non-xM users can't benefit from 1Ghz, they may wish
to stay on OS3.

Note that all ARMini customers can benefit from the 1Ghz speed.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS