[argyllcms] Re: rgb printer calibration

  • From: Radek Doulik <radek.doulik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 21:48:52 +0200

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 09:13 -0400, Symphony Photography wrote:

> 2010/5/23 Radek Doulik <radek.doulik@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

>         I have already profiled the printer without calibration, but I
>         see
>         problems in gradients close to white when using perceptual
>         intent (for
>         example soft shadows on white background are not smooth).
>
> Radek,
>
> With regards to smoothness of the profile I've noticed that even if
> your printer is fairly linear you might see some anomalies using the
> default settings. Assuming things are fairly linear the following
> might help when generating the profile:
>
> colprof -v -qu nameOfInputFile
>
> The -q argument sets the quality. u is the highest setting. It will
> take longer to generate the profile but consider how fast most
> machines are these days it's quite trivial. Just grab a cup of coffee
> and it'll be ready by the time you're finished.
>
> Now, if the printer is experiencing some non-linearities in that area
> the -q argument won't do a lick of good.

Hi Joe,

I usually use -qh, I remember Graeme saying few time that ultra quality
is not very useful, more the proof that things work as supposed. Will
try it, but don't expect much help in that case. I remember trying it
long time ago on another profile with not much difference . Will let you
know if -qu helps.

One thing I am considering is to create second profile and use the first
one as pre-conditioning profile (-c).

Cheers
Radek