[argyllcms] Re: rgb printer calibration

  • From: Symphony Photography <symphonyphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 23:41:20 -0400

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is no red, green or blue colorant in your printer. It uses
> Cyan, Magenta and Yellow colorants, so there is no point attempting
> to linearise things that don't exist.

Curiosity question... I know that the drivers are usually RGB but
internally, the printer usually speaks in terms of CMYK BUT... you say there
is no red, green, or blue colorant yet many printers (mine included)
specifically have RGB inks. My printers use the following inks: Matte Black,
Black, Gray, Photo Gray, Blue, Cyan, Photo Cyan, Magenta, Photo Magenta,
Green, Yellow, and Red. So there's 12 channels there and of the blacks/grays
only 3 of 4 are used at any one time. If you break it down though you have 7
colors, CMYKRGB. I'm curious to know why the red, green, and blue inks
 wouldn't be counted as colorants?

Cheers, Joe

--
Symphony Photography