[argyllcms] Re: output ICC gamut in RGB

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 08:34:17 -0700

On Oct 26, 2014, at 6:48 AM, Lars-Daniel Weber <Lars-Daniel.Weber@xxxxxx> wrote:

> In Photoshop, you can active a gamut warning (don't know the exact English
> term).
> It greys out all the colors, which don't exactly fit in the gamut and which
> will be compressed or whatever.
>
> This also works for the palette. It only shows the colors, which can be
> printed without being touched.
> I want to get a list of RGB values, which are not "greyed out".

Ah -- good that you added this detail.

The problem is that RGB values aren't absolute; they're device-dependent. Your
printer is quite happy printing any and all RGB values you might wish to throw
at it.

What you're looking for are _absolute_ color values outside of your printer's
gamut, and that means either L*a*b* (or another absolute color space) values,
or RGB values _within_a_specified_profile._

Most likely, you're looking for the RGB values in your favorite working space
-- such as AdobeRGB or BetaRGB or ProPhoto or the like. But, first, remember:
each of those spaces have different gamuts, and an RGB value in one that
represents a particular absolute color value your printer is happy printing may
well represent an entirely different color value in another space that your
printer isn't capable of printing.

I still think the Grainger rainbow is best likely to accomplish what you're
looking to do. Grab a copy from somewhere, but this time assign it not your
printer's profile but your working space. Now, if you set up the gamut warning
properly in Photoshop, it should gray out just those areas your printer can't
handle.

As an experiment, assign the rainbow a different working space and watch the
shape of the grayed-out areas change.

Cheers,

b&