[argyllcms] Re: Use of calibrated display to profile digital camera

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:56:06 -0700
On 2008 Jul 27, at 2:35 PM, Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

> Ben Goren wrote:
>
>> [...] Except the neutrals, of course.
>
> ...  and the  neutrals on  the CC  have rather  flat reflectance
> spectra, unlike on a IT8 target, where dark neutrals rather have
> three bumps (which is no surprise, since they are mixed from CMY
> colorants).

That's  why I'm  thinking of  artist's pigment  (pastels, acrylic,
I-don't-know). I know  very little about it...but  I'm hoping that
(e.g.) there's some  sort of a carbon-based black  that mixes well
with a  titanium-based white...if those pigments  actually mix the
way that I'm guessing I think they maybe might perhaps.

>> Graeme Gill wrote:
>>
>>> The more your capture device  resembles the human eye in terms
>>> of  its spectral  response (the  Luther condition),  the fewer
>>> problems there will be with this aspect anyway.
>>
>> That's even better to know.
>
> Unfortunately, knowing it still does not make it happen :-)

True...and I still have this day  job that eats up waaaaay too much
of my time.

But, I'm  starting to think  that this may well  be feasible. And,
the  great thing  is that  I don't  think I'll  need to  precisely
target  the color  values with  the artist's  pigments. With luck,
the  recipe should  come down  to  something like,  ``mix 3  parts
such-and-such with 4 parts this-and-that and apply at intersection
J13 on  the chart.'' Measuring  the chart  should more  than amply
make up for variations from chart to chart.

Hmmm...and a  cutout overlay such  as the ColorChecker  uses would
eliminate the  need for precise  brush strokes, and would  be easy
but tedious  to make with a  ruler and an Xacto...this  just might
work....

The end  result, if I'm lucky,  should be a wide-gamut  chart with
lots  of patches,  a good  number of  which have  similar spectral
characteristics as a CC.

Cheers,

b&