[argyllcms] Re: Use of calibrated display to profile digital camera

  • From: xsdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Milan Kní?ek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:36:39 -0400

Quoting Milan Kní?ek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>:

Hi all!

I am aware that it is not usually recommended to use IT8 targets for
preparation of ICC camera profiles for colour rendering of real scenes.
Since one of the reasons is smaller gamut of IT8, I thought about use of
a calibrated and profiled display (supporting near to Adobe RGB colour
space). I did some research with Google and found that this is already
patented in the USA: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6654493.html

Have anyone tried to use calibrated and profiled display to create a
profile for digital camera and got good results? Would it make sense
considering low-end display calibration tools (Eye One II, Huey)?
I certainly wouldn't trust this method in the general case. First off, you're likely to get moire patterns (I have seen this a lot when shooting LCD monitors). Furthermore, because most camera sensors have considerably higher resolution than most LCD monitors, you'll likely be able to see the individual monitor sub-pixels fairly well, which will likely cause interesting forms of quantization noise.

Finally, when you string together measurements like this, your measurement errors will accumulate and, unless they're very well-controlled, kill your accuracy.

P.S. At the moment, I use ICC profile in UFRaw (linux) based on IT8
target, since it usually gives me better results than other alternatives
(no profile, colour matrix, profiles from RAW converter by Canon).
I haven't heard of the IT8 problems you're referring to. However, I'm fairly confident that your IT8 results will be much better than what you'd see from an LCD monitor.

--xsdg