[argyllcms] Re: Use of calibrated display to profile digital camera

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:16:03 -0700
On 2008 Jul 26, at 2:53 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

If you are concerned about spectral effects of the target one option is to use a target that is based on some other reproduction method that is designed to have more natural spectral characteristics. For example there are the very expensive X-Rite/GretagMacbeth targets (around $300) or the less expensive DigitaL TargeT 003.

That actually brings up something I've been pondering.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to make a high-quality target?

I mean, sure, I could use targen and print it out on my inkjet, and I imagine it'd be better than nothing.

But I'm thinking more along the lines of, perhaps, getting carefully- selected artist's pigments and hand-applying them, with the thought of simulating the same general kinds of spectral characteristics as the ColorChecker /et al./

I'm *NOT* thinking of duplicating a ColorChecker -- just creating a variation on that theme. And, perhaps as importantly, of coming up with a recipe that others can follow. ``Print <this file> on <such-and- such stock -- no FWA?>, and fill in the squares with <this-n-that>, being careful to get even coverage. When done, measure with your i1 and chartread like so, and you've got an Argyll v0.1 camera target for $x plus about y hours of your time.'' (And, of course, change the recipe to suit your needs and / or materials availability.)

I know a local artist who should have pretty much every type of colored schtuff one might use -- pastels, oils, watercolor, acrylics, charcoal, whatever. What I don't know is what the desired characteristics would be. Well, I'm assuming non-glossy...but, past that...? And should it just be pure pigments, or mixes, and just one type, or...?

In short, anybody know what GretagMacbeth does?

Cheers,

b&