[argyllcms] Re: Running dispcal stops usb card reader

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:06:19 +1100

hetas wrote:
> Running lsusb does not cause any problems. Even the verbose listing as root,
> as shown in my first
> message, does not affect the card reader

Ok, then that points to another cause. On UNIX, there are typically
a huge number of serial ports listed in /dev - most if not all
of them are not real, and you don't want to see dozens of not real serial
ports listed in the tool usage. (OS X and MSWin have mechanisms for
discovering actual serial ports). So Argyll simply tries to open
the port, and only lists ports that it can open. This is a recommended
approach under UNIX like systems as far as I can tell (ie. this is what
the setserial utility does). I guess this is what's causing the problem.

I'm open to suggestions as to what other approach can
distinguish real from non-real serial ports across all
popular UNIX systems (or even just Linux and FreeBSD),
without opening the port.