[argyllcms] Running dispcal stops usb card reader

  • From: Juho Turunen <hetas4ml@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:01:17 +0200

Hello,

I have usb smartcard reader connected to my machine. When running
dispcal the card reader stops working. Restarting the software which
is  using the card reader (VDR with softcam) gets the reader working
again.

This has something to do with dispcal enumerating usb devices. Even
running just dispcal --help has this same effect.

Card reader is using usb-serial-driver. What could cause this
behavior? Is there something that could be done with Argyll or is this
problem with the usb-serial-driver?

I'm using dispcalGUI and running that has the same effect. This isn't
a huge problem. I don't run dispcal or dispcalGUI that often but it's
quite annoying when you don't remember this and  accidentally  leave
the card reader in non-working state.

I'm using Debian Wheezy 64 bit and tested this with Argyll 1.3.5.

Here's some information about the card reader:
------------------------------
$ sudo lsusb -vd 0403:6001
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices
International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct          0x6001 FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
  bcdDevice            4.00
  iManufacturer           1 FTDI
  iProduct                2 USB <-> Serial
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower               90mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              2 USB <-> Serial
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN