[argyllcms] Re: Running dispcal stops usb card reader

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:03:30 +1100

Ridouan Agarad wrote:

> The script-approach (dmesg | grep ttyS) reported the correct number of ports
> available, on both
> machines. Problem with this is that if someone did 'dmesg -c' it wouldn't
> work anymore, not really
> that elegant (aside from using a script-approach in a compiled program).

Pretty horrid for an application - fine for a quick and dirty user look.

> Another quick way might be to access this information directly via the file
> system. It appears that
> that for e.g. ttyS0 the information can be found in /sys/class/tty/ttyS0/*,
> where the symlink
> 'driver' points to the driver for that port (either serial or serial8250 in
> my case). The
> directories for the specific port contains all kinds of info (e.g. a
> "resources" file with the
> allocated system resources).

Hmm. As far as I can see, this still doesn't distinguish between real and place
holder
serial ports though.
This is in contrast to "setserial -gb /dev/ttyS*" which does work,
but does so by opening the serial port.

I'm wondering if the problem you see is due to Argyll opening /dev/ttyUSB*
though.
It's easy enough to skip looking at those ports, since they only turn up
when they are present.