[argyllcms] Re: Quato DTP94 vs i1 Display Pro for Dell U2711

  • From: Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:10:12 +0100

On 29/11/12 21:46, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>> I use a Dell U2711, and so far the DTP94 in the Quato bundle with iColor
>> Display 3 and its generic wide gamut correction in the software. Is the
>> i1 Display Pro superior?
>
> Hi,
>       it's hard to say - it depends how uniform the DTP94's are (or
> whether Quato are creating calibrations for each unit of the DTP94
> they ship), and how similar your particular display is to the display
> the instrument calibration was created for. It could be quite good.

Ok.

>> In particular, do I understand it correctly
>> that the wide gamut correction is included in the device, so that I can
>> use ArgyllCMS without the need of a correction?
>
> I'd be a little surprised if the calibration is in the device (DTP94),
> although it's technically possible. If you can select the display type
> in the software, then it's not in the device. Comparing two
> readings of the same color using the different software can give you
> an indication too.

Sorry, my formulation was quite misleading. As far as I know the generic
wide gamut correction of the DTP94 with iColor Display 3 is inside the
software and with Argyll I would indeed need a CCMX file. My question
was more concerning the i1 Display Pro: Is the wide gamut correction
included in this device or is a correction not necessary anymore? Or is
it still in the software so X-Rite can advertise it as being compatible
with wide gamut screens? I do not have a spectrometer available so this
would be interesting to know because I cannot judge how good the generic
wide gamut correction of my current Dell + DTP94 + iColor Display 3 is.

Thank you for your clarifications,

Sebastian