[argyllcms] Re: Quato DTP94 vs i1 Display Pro for Dell U2711

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:46:49 +1100

Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> I use a Dell U2711, and so far the DTP94 in the Quato bundle with iColor
> Display 3 and its generic wide gamut correction in the software. Is the
> i1 Display Pro superior?

Hi,
        it's hard to say - it depends how uniform the DTP94's are (or
whether Quato are creating calibrations for each unit of the DTP94
they ship), and how similar your particular display is to the display
the instrument calibration was created for. It could be quite good.

> In particular, do I understand it correctly
> that the wide gamut correction is included in the device, so that I can
> use ArgyllCMS without the need of a correction?

I'd be a little surprised if the calibration is in the device (DTP94),
although it's technically possible. If you can select the display type
in the software, then it's not in the device. Comparing two
readings of the same color using the different software can give you
an indication too.

The Argyll equivalent if it is not in the device is a CCMX file,
but you would need access to a spectrometer to create one
specifically for your display and instrument.