[argyllcms] Re: Noticeable differences between calibrated white points

  • From: Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:45:56 -0700

 On 10/25/2010 04:23 PM, János, Tóth F. wrote:

And I accidentally discovered something when I watched these white screens.
This is the display of my pocket-calculator:

http://img12.tar.hu/janos666/img/92530303.jpg
http://img12.tar.hu/janos666/img/92530304.jpg

When it reflects back the white light of the H-IPS WCG display, I can only see a deep purple display (cheap camera again... And I think the color I see is out of the sRGB gamut. So, it's blue here...) I can't read any numbers on it. When I use the white light from the S-PVA display, I can easily read the displayed numbers. There is no any colorization. It's like the sunlight.

It's strange and funny for me but does it means anything for you? :)
(Has it anything to do with the relative subjective differences?)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Vikuiti1/BrandProducts/secondary/optics101/
Navigation -> Components of an LCD -> Liquid Crystal Overview -> * DIsplays -> Recognizing * Displays
Also, Backlight Overview -> Other Sources of Light -> Reflective LCDs

Basically, depending on the technology, the output light is polarized in a specific angle (for IPS, it's 0 or 90 degrees) Most calculator screens are a reflective type, so the light goes through the polarizer in the front, hits the reflector in the back and comes back out through the front polarizer, thereby polarizing the reflections.

HTH