[argyllcms] Re: Noticeable differences between calibrated white points

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:05:45 +0200

Yes, I thought that this calculator display thing has to do something with
the reflective display and refraction. But I didn't know about the
polarization of the emissive displays. (I thought it may indicates some UV
content on the light or something like that -> imagine some half-technical
bunk... :D)

And what do you think about the limiting factor?
Is it the sampled wavelength range ( the capability of the sensor or the
physical UV filter in all ColorMunkis and some i1pros - I don't know
yours...), the sampling resolution, the H3 "agressive coating" layer on the
panel's surface, the unusual spectrum of the WCG-CCFLs and LEDs (I think you
have RGB LEDs for a H-IPS display) combined with the limitations of the
standard observers...? Is it the panel technology itself?

To be honest, I currently think that this Munki was an absolute waste of
money if it can't really calibrate my display.
May be the factory calibration drift (after the temperature change, backlit
luminance setup in the OSD, etc...) was in the same range where I am now.
And ok, I also calibrated the tonal response but it's not far from my target
and ColorMunki is not perfect either (mostly if we talk about the shadow
details...).
If I need to set up the white balance with my eyes, I could keep with the
cheap i1LT (which I sold).
Because I need to question the accuracy of the gamut measurements as well
(if it can't find the WP, they should be drifted as well, I think...)!

So, I can't trust in the "affordable but relatively expensive" (- for a home
user) instrument.
I can't use my other wide-gamut display as a reference for manual WP setup.
What should I do?

- Sell this display and find one with native sRGB gamut (and may be a
different panel technology?)
-> Can anyone recommend me a 10+ bit display with 1920x1200 or 2560x1440
resolution, good responsiveness and relatively "viewing angle free" panel
which has nearly 100% sRGB gamut coverage without over-saturation?
I think you can't. That's why I bought my current display. :) They don't
make any good displays with sRGB gamut nowadays.
On the other hand, this H-IPS is a real winner in any other ways: It's fast,
it's contrast ratio is high enough.

- Should I get a small and cheap CRT display to use it as a reference for
the manual WP setup? (And use the chromacity coordinaltes from the
manufacturer's ICM file for gamut emulation?)

- Should I forget about all of these things, set back the factory settings
on the display, delete any LUTs and profiles (or live them as they are now),
sell the Munki, and live like the usual "blind" users do? :D