[argyllcms] Re: Need help figuring out just why my profile isn't working

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:14:37 +0000

Hi :)

Leonard Evens wrote:

There is no question that the calibration information is being
loaded.  It is what the applications are doing with the profile that
seems to be questionable.

Or what the profile itself is describing. A monitor profile is only valid for the calibration state for which it was produced - and from what you said about the image on screen looking like it's been overcorrected, I suspect your profile has been built to describe the monitor in an uncalibrated state.

The Calibration step is, in fact, optional - it's perfectly possible to build a profile to describe the monitor in any state of calibration - though the results are generally better after calibration.

To try and pin this down a little further, can you try the following:
Display a greyscale image of some kind ramp in an un-colour-managed application, then do this:
dispwin -c
(resets the LUTs with a linear ramp)
Do you see a colour cast to the ramp? Give your eyes a few moments to adapt before deciding!

Then:
dispwin -L
(Loads your profile, assuming you've installed it with dispwin -I at some point.)

Do you see a change in the display?
Do you now see a different colour-cast in the greyscale, or is it now correct?

If you see no change, can you try this:
dispwin /path/to/file.cal
(Load the LUTs using the .cal file created by dispcal.)

If the effect of this is any different from dispwin -L then your profile doesn't correctly contain the LUT data - the most likely cause of this being the omission of the -k parameter when creating it.

Another thing to try:
dispwin -L
(to set the X monitor profile atom)
xgamma -gamma 1.0
(to load the LUTs with a linear ramp - could also use dispwin -c for this)
Now display a greyscale ramp in a Colour-managed application. Do you still see a colour cast?

Hope this is some help,

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson