[argyllcms] Re: Need help figuring out just why my profile isn't working

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:31:24 +0000

Hi :)

Leonard Evens wrote:

There is no discernible change between
dispwin -l
and
dispwin xxxx.cal
where xxxx.cal is the calibration file with which the profile was
created.

OK, that's good.

In this case I used the targen, dispread, colprof sequence to produce
the profile, and I definitely used the -k option.

OK also good :)

Perhaps I should remark that I am now up to W in my lettering having
started on this occasion with D.   Last year I got to C and stopped
there with what seemed an acceptable calibration/profile at the time. So
there has been no want of trying.)

LOL - fair enough, and I know my suggestions have been somewhat on the obvious side, but I find the obvious things are sometimes the most easily missed. Without asking the obvious questions it's also hard to know exactly what you have or haven't tried :)

Now display a greyscale ramp in a Colour-managed application. Do you still see a colour cast?

It is actually worse that way.

OK, well that's good - but it suggests that the calibration and profile were correctly made. This, and the fact that you're getting consistent results between instruments and programs, suggest that the problem is elsewhere.

I seemed to be specially sensitive to very small color shifts, as small
> a .025 in color filter units (if I remember the scale correctly).

Well, I guess no two people have identical vision, and the colour matching functions used for colour management are based on a "Standard Observer" - a representative "average" human visual response - but there are bound to be outliers. For instance, I seem to remember reading a while ago about how there are some people for whom the traditional colour-blindness test doesn't work properly. There are two types of test - figures you can't see if you're colourblind, and figures you can supposedly *only* see if you're colourblind - and these people can quite clearly see both types. So yes, it's entirely possible that, as you say, your sensitivity to errors in grey balance is considerably higher than most people's.

Can you maybe show a grey test image to someone else, and get a second opinion?

It could also have something to do with ambient light.

Also possible. So what happens if you turn out the lights, and look at a grey sweep on the monitor with the room in darkness?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson