[argyllcms] Re: Need help figuring out just why my profile isn't working

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:46:09 -0600

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 02:15 +0000, Omari Stephens wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 17:13 +0100, Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
> >> If my memory serves me correctly, there was a color managment bug in
> >> gimp earlier, if the working colorspace was not sRGB. I can't remember
> >> what the  bug was, and I normaly use cinepaint for that kind of work.
> >> Since you are using fedora 9 maybe your gimp version are affected?
> >
> > The working space is sRGB.
> I think this is a profile-creation or -usage problem, rather than an
> application-specific problem.  Especially since you're seeing the exact same
> issue in gimp and inkscape, I think trying to debug the gimp in this case is
> just a waste of time (unless you're trying to debug lcms).

I agree.  I think the problem is either in lcms or more likely in how I
am making my profiles.  But since I get the same phenomena with
different monitors, an Eye-One Display LT and an Eye-One Pro, and using
different approaches, it is hard to see what the common factor is.

> Have you looked into the questions Alastair asked?  They seem like a very
> good
> starting point, and also give a plausible theory for how you may have ended
> up
> in this situation.

I'll have to find his response; unfortunately, I didn't save it.

> That said, have you tried measuring the behavior of your display to see if it
> matches what you expect?
> Comparing the results of
> `dispcal -R` (uncalibrated) and
> `dispcal -r` (calbirated) with your device attached should give you some idea
> if
> your calibration and profile are behaving as expected.

I've done the equivalent, I believe, and they show different results,
but I'm not sure I understand how to interpret the differences.  (I will
try it again.)  If I  understand correctly, dispcal won't tell me
anything about what the profile is doing, just the difference between a
calibrated (vgct loaded in video card) display and an uncalibrated
display.  There is no question that the calibration information is being
loaded.  It is what the applications are doing with the profile that
seems to be questionable.