[argyllcms] Re: Need help figuring out just why my profile isn't working

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:39:18 -0600

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:12 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> Let me summarize the situation.
>
> Last year, I managed, under Fedora 7, to produce a display profile for
> my Samsung 226CW using an Eye-One LT.  Using that in gimp produced
> plausible results.
>
> But I've been having problems doing the same thing after upgrading to
> Fedora 9.  I seem to have tracked down the problem to gimp.
>
> I realize this is not a gimp forum, and I will post there also, but I
> thought someone here might have insight.  It is also possible I've
> misunderstood something.
>
> What gimp seems to be doing if I ask it to use a profile is to use
> something like what the profile alone without the calibration
> information loaded in the video car might produce.   I presume this is
> some gimp bug, but it is also possible that am consistently doing
> something wrong.  In
>
> I also have a relatively new laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 which I've also
> profiled, and something similar happens with gimp there.  For the Fedora
> machine, a gray scale image has a distinct magenta tint and with the
> Ubuntu machine the tint is cyan.  In each case that is the tint of the
> monitor without the video calibration.
>
> Also, can anyone suggest some other way to check that the profiles are
> not  unreasonable.  Supposedly, Eye of Gnome uses the profile if you set
> the X atom _ICC_PROFILE.   But there seems to be no way to tell that
> program about profiles, so I'm not sure the versions I have are actually
> doing that.   If I created some bizarre profile with the same
> calibration data, I could presumably check if Eye of Gnoe made use of
> it, but I don't know how to do that.
>
> Is there some other way to check, under Linux, what the effect of a
> display profile is on an image?
>
> I am pretty much at sea about this, so any useful information would be
> helpful.  I am hoping that I am just doing something wrong.

I've found that inkscape, another application I use, also has color
management, and the same phenomenon seems to happen with it.  Of course,
both gimp and inkscape may be using the same software, perhaps something
in lcms, and that could possibly where the problem lies.

Perhaps some lcms expert can suggest a way to test that.

Or it could still be something about the way I am producing the
profiles.

Another possibility is that my measuring devices are off.  But
essentially the same thing seems to happen with both my Eye-Pro LT and
my Eye-One Pro.

Is is possible to check those devices, at least roughly, without sending
them to Xrite?