[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:46:29 -0700

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 07:52:24 am nome cognome wrote:
> 2009/7/28 Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hmm. So I gather that the FireFox developers were actually foolish enough
> > to go ahead and create (yet another) CMS for no particularly good reason,
>
> No particularly good reason? Are you jocking?
> It doesn't reproduce colors faithfully and it's not compatible with
> ICCv4 and LUT profiles, but it's 0,0001% faster than LCMS! -.-
> Fucking benchmarks... :@

Actually the main reason is security.  A few months ago someone who is trying
to make a name for themselves as a security expert issued a security alert
claiming that there were possible exploits in LCMS.  He had found some minor
memory leaks but these would have been nearly impossible to exploit.   Marti
fixed these in a few days and made the patched software available.  In the
mean time there was a flurry of activity generated by the alert and almost
every distro had bug reports opened about the "security issue" although most
handled it correctly (IE. contacted Marti and decided to just move to the
patched version of LCMS).  But the firefox people freaked out and decided to
replace LCMS.  It was clearly a dumb move and they are getting lots of flak
from their users about it.

Hal