[argyllcms] Re: Loosing precision converting from eps to tiff?

  • From: "Martin Weberg" <martin.weberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:07:17 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:

I would imagine that the raster file will be whatever depth
has been chosen for it, ie, 8 bits/component by default.
It may be possible to select (say) 16 bits/component for
the raster file when it is created, giving double the
precision, but this may depend on the version of Photoshop.

Of course all this is moot if the printing system being used
doesn't have a 16 bit rendering path.

I don't really know much about bits and how computers handles numbers (sorry
for my noobness). Would 8 bits be sufficient to store numbers generated by
targen?

I guess Ghostscript can be used to print the postscript charts.

Martin W