[argyllcms] Re: Loosing precision converting from eps to tiff?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 18:01:02 +1000

Martin Weberg wrote:

I don't really know much about bits and how computers handles numbers (sorry for my noobness). Would 8 bits be sufficient to store numbers
> generated by targen?

The precision bottleneck could be your printing system. Targen generates test
values at floating point precision, to make sure that it is not the bottleneck.
Rendering the postscript to an 8 bits per color component raster quantizes
these numbers to 1 out of 2^8 precision per color components, ie. an integer
value between 0 and 255, leading to a worst case inaccuracy of 0.5/256 = 0.2%

I guess Ghostscript can be used to print the postscript charts.

Yes, Ghostscript should work too, and once again you'll be limited
by the depth of raster that Ghostscript is configured to render to.