[argyllcms] Re: Loosing precision converting from eps to tiff?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:03:12 +1000

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
Graeme, do you think it may make sense, if targen had an option to
generate only device values which are integral multiples of 100/(2^N-1)?
(where e.g. N=8, for characterizing 8-bit devices)

Possibly, although I'm unconvinced that the 8 bit quantization error is
that significant in the overall scheme of things. It's hard to know
how the printing system ends up quantizing everything anyway - there
could be lookup tables followed by the quantizing levels that screening
then applies, quantization in RGB->CMYY conversion etc.
In general it's better to feed the printing system Postscript
if it can cope with it, although I'd like to get printtarg to
spit out raster files at some stage (hence the render sub project
in Argyll).