[argyllcms] Re: Eye-one and DTP94 using dispcal

  • From: "Martin Weberg" <martin.weberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:36:58 +0200

Here is a more detailed session:

dispcal -v -r -yl -K
Setting up the instrument
Instrument Type:   Eye-One Pro
Serial Number:     313906
Firmware version:  503
CPLD version:      999
Date manufactured: 19-6-2007
U.V. filter ?:     No
Measure Ambient ?: Yes
Tot. Measurement Count:           8082
Remission Spot Count:             691
Remission Scan Count:             754
Date of last Remission spot cal:  Thu Jul 31 08:54:18 2008
Remission Spot Count at last cal: 682
Total lamp usage:                 2635.150635
Place the instrument on its reflective white reference Serial no. 313906,
 and then hit any key to continue,
 or hit Esc, ^C or Q to abort:

// Placing the eye-one on the white reference.

Calibration complete
Setting up the instrument
Instrument Type:   Eye-One Pro
Serial Number:     313906
Firmware version:  503
CPLD version:      999
Date manufactured: 19-6-2007
U.V. filter ?:     No
Measure Ambient ?: Yes
Tot. Measurement Count:           8082
Remission Spot Count:             691
Remission Scan Count:             754
Date of last Remission spot cal:  Thu Jul 31 08:54:18 2008
Remission Spot Count at last cal: 682
Total lamp usage:                 2635.150635
Place cap on the instrument, or place in on a dark surface,
or place on the white calibration reference,
 and then hit any key to continue,
 or hit Esc, ^C or Q to abort:

// Having read Graemes reply, the suggestion to place the instrument on the
white calibration reference seem wrong. I use the ambient measuring head
with cap on.

Calibration complete

Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc, ^C or Q to give up, any other key to continue:

// Placing the eye-one on the display, in its display calibration holder.

patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.55 cd/m^2
White level = 189.74 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.29
Contrast ratio = 346:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3450, 0.3444
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 4980K, DE to locus =  5.3
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 4974K, DE to locus =  9.1
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5100K, DE to locus =  5.0
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 5203K, DE to locus =  8.7
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be -1073742664 bits
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

Trying to get rid of the hassle using the ambient reading cap, I try placing
the eye-one on an opaque surface (my desktop). Now without the -K setting:

dispcal -v -r -yl
Setting up the instrument
Instrument Type:   Eye-One Pro
Serial Number:     313906
Firmware version:  503
CPLD version:      999
Date manufactured: 19-6-2007
U.V. filter ?:     No
Measure Ambient ?: Yes
Tot. Measurement Count:           8082
Remission Spot Count:             691
Remission Scan Count:             754
Date of last Remission spot cal:  Thu Jul 31 08:54:18 2008
Remission Spot Count at last cal: 682
Total lamp usage:                 2635.150635
Place cap on the instrument, or place in on a dark surface,
or place on the white calibration reference,
 and then hit any key to continue,
 or hit Esc, ^C or Q to abort:

// Placing the eye-one on my desktop, in its display calibration holder.

Calibration complete

Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc, ^C or Q to give up, any other key to continue:

// Placing the eye-one on the display, in its display calibration holder.

patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.62 cd/m^2
White level = 209.56 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.42
Contrast ratio = 337:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3425, 0.3615
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 5126K, DE to locus =  8.0
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 5129K, DE to locus =  4.1
White        Visual Color Temperature = 4946K, DE to locus =  7.7
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 5047K, DE to locus =  3.9
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be -1073742656 bits
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

Hum, some differences.

Then I try the DTP94 with and without -K setting:

dispcal -v -r -yl -K
Setting up the instrument
 Instrument Type:  DTP94
 Serial Number:    100440
 Boot version:     D929
 Software version: DB06
Place cap on the instrument, or place in on a dark surface,
or place on the white calibration reference,
 and then hit any key to continue,
 or hit Esc, ^C or Q to abort:

// Placing the DTP94 on my desktop

Calibration complete
Setting up the instrument
 Instrument Type:  DTP94
 Serial Number:    100440
 Boot version:     D929
 Software version: DB06
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc, ^C or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.43 cd/m^2
White level = 153.62 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.43
Contrast ratio = 357:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3488, 0.3595
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 4893K, DE to locus =  3.8
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 4893K, DE to locus =  1.2
White        Visual Color Temperature = 4819K, DE to locus =  3.6
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 4914K, DE to locus =  1.1
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be -1073742664 bits
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

Without -K setting.

dispcal -v -r -yl
Setting up the instrument
 Instrument Type:  DTP94
 Serial Number:    100440
 Boot version:     D929
 Software version: DB06
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc, ^C or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.42 cd/m^2
White level = 156.13 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.44
Contrast ratio = 372:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3494, 0.3602
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 4873K, DE to locus =  3.9
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 4874K, DE to locus =  1.0
White        Visual Color Temperature = 4796K, DE to locus =  3.8
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 4891K, DE to locus =  0.9
Effective LUT entry depth seems to be -1073742656 bits
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

basiccolor display and DTP94 calibrated on my desktop reports:
White Point: Target D50, Achieved delta 0.5 deltab 1.6
Luminence White: 156 cd/m^2
Luminence Black: 0.44 cd/m^2
Contrast: 355:1

basiccolor display and eye-one calibrated on my desktop (I was wrong in my
reports:
White Point: Target D50, Achieved delta -4.1 deltab 1.2
Luminence White: 153 cd/m^2
Luminence Black: 0.42 cd/m^2
Contrast: 359:1

Apart from the white point no difference between the DTP94 and eye-one
readings using basiccolor display.