[argyllcms] Re: Direct matching between two displays

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:58:12 +1100

Ivan Tsyba wrote:
> I try to calibrate two displays to the same state: set identical white
> point chromaticities, brightness of white and black points, make both
> absolute (or this was wrong?) 2.2 gamma.

If you mean -G2.2, this is may not be a good idea, depending
on how similar the black levels are between the displays.

> On one display I set white point using OSD controls, and before calibration
> started, gray desktops backgrounds is almost identical, but after
> calibration this monitor became noticeable greener, especially in dark
> areas.
> Both displays are cheap LCD and I'm using Colormunki Create and latest
> dispcalGUI.

It can be something of a challenge to get side by side comparisons
to match. It's relatively easy to get matches < 6 Delta E with
consumer grade equipment, but getting it down to the "hard to
tell" 1 Delta E can be difficult/impossible. My first concern
would the instrument - the Create/i1d2 is not renowned for accuracy,
especially between different display types. This may not
be easy for you to check though. One way would be to arrange
for two colors (say greys) to fill each screen and
match within 1 Delta E when measured on the instrument.
(There are several possible approaches to arranging that.)
If they still look different, then the instrument is the
limitation. If they match reasonably closely, then at
least you know that a measurement match for grey is
a visual match, and the problem must lie elsewhere.

Another concern is the viewing environment - it's quite easy for
perception to be tilted by slightly different surroundings.