[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating mug prints (thermal transfer)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 19:56:02 +1000

Ing. Martin Sivák wrote:
We used a metal plate of similar white as the mug surface is (white),
but of course it wasn't perfect match. We then measured the targets
from the plate.

100% color accuracy is not required (we could measure the cups, but
ouch.. that would be too many), but at least  neutrals and skin tones
should be acceptable by common customers.

There are a couple of approaches that might work.

One would be to make an MPP profile from a smaller number of patches
measured on the actual cups, and then transfer it to an ICC profile using
fakeread.

Another might be to use a small number of measurements from the cup
with refine, to improve the profile in critical areas. You would
have to figure out what your critical colors are by sampling
your input space, then convert them to CMYK/RGB for the current
profile, print the cup and measure it, and feed the "should be"
vs. "measured" values into refine.

A third way would be to use an MPP profile made from measuring
the actual cups to tune the readings made from the metal plate
using a tool I've written for this purpose called "retargti3".
It's not part of the GNU Argyll release though, so if
that approach appeals to you, you'll have to contact me directly.