[argyllcms] Re: Awful result with Argyll 1.3.5 + dispcalGUI 0.8 + i1Display Pro & Dell U2711 :-(((

  • From: "Fabrizio Giudici" <Fabrizio.Giudici@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 00:01:33 +0100

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:24:41 +0100, Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 08.01.2012 23:13, schrieb Paolo Avezzano:
I own a i1Display Pro, so I should take in account what you write about wide gamut display. I didn't know that i1d3ccss tool at all!
What should I give as input to that tool? What should I convert?

You only need to use i1d3ccss manually from commandline if you don't use dispcalGUI. If you use dispcalGUI, choose 'Import correction matrices from other software' in the 'Tools' menu, then select the correction under the 'Correction' dropdown. There should be two corrections for wide-gamut: WGCCFLFamily_07Feb11.ccss for monitors with CCFL backlight and WLEDFamily_07Feb11.ccss for monitors with LED backlight. Both are generic corrections, but it should influence the measurements and probably bring them closer to the i1Profiler results.

Question: "how wide" the gamut must be for triggering the need for this procedure? I mean, wide gamut is often an advertisement word, my monitor was reviewed years ago as "wide gamut", but I don't think is as wide as the currently shipped wide gamut monitors. Is there a threshold, perhaps expressed in volume units or in NTSC percentage?

Alternatively, if one follows the i1d3ccss procedure for a non wide gamut monitor will do harm or will it work all the way?

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."