[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS as smart CMM for OS X

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:11:16 +0100

Graeme Gill wrote:
If what you distribute includes Argyll components,
and the package depends for it's purpose on those components

Of course it does. Icclink does the hard work; my CMM just picks the result and passes it to the ColorSync framework.

[...] then your package needs to comply with
the GNU licensing conditions, which (in summary) mean that
everything you distribute in that package need to be made
available under a compatible Free Software license (But please
read the license and obtain legal advice etc. etc. )

I know: YANAL, IANAL, but do you think it's possible to distribute my CMM (which is linked with proprietary OS APIs) under GPL?

I think this case is covered by the GPL FAQ <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs>, but I'm not quite sure if I understood it well enough: The libraries my CMM needs are distributed with the OS, my source code does not contain them, but even if the executable does, my package is still GPL compatible? Did I get this right?

TIA,
Klaus