[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS as smart CMM for OS X

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:35:58 +1100

Klaus Karcher wrote:

I've written a smart CMM for OSX: It invokes icclink as child process (vfork/execv) to create device link profiles on the fly if required. Ordinary device->device transforms get replaced by device link transforms transparently. The CMM is (of course) linked against Apples APIs (ColorSync, Core Foundation, ...).

Interesting project. It's certainly crossed my mind to write
a CMM for MSWindows and/or OSX & Linux based on Argyll.

It's a proof of concept so far, but the results are already excellent and I'm quite sure that many users will love it. Therefore I wonder which legal / license aspects I have to consider when I want to distribute it.

If what you distribute doesn't contain any Argyll (or other GNU
licensed code), then you can do whatever you want
(ie., if you've left it up to the end user to install
any Argyll components your package makes use of).

If what you distribute includes Argyll components,
and the package depends for it's purpose on those components
(ie. the Argyll components are not "mere aggregation onto a
common medium"), then your package needs to comply with
the GNU licensing conditions, which (in summary) mean that
everything you distribute in that package need to be made
available under a compatible Free Software license (But please
read the license and obtain legal advice etc. etc. )

If you were Apple (:-), and wanted to distribute it
as part of OS X, then OS X would have to be made available
under a compatible Free Software license, or you'd have to
negotiate a non-GNU license with different terms from with me.