[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS as smart CMM for OS X

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:36:52 +1100

Klaus Karcher wrote:
I know: YANAL, IANAL, but do you think it's possible to distribute my CMM (which is linked with proprietary OS APIs) under GPL?

If everything you distribute is compatible with the GPL,
then yes (ie. the users do the linking to OS API's).

The GPL doesn't prohibit any use of the software,
just copying it, so there's no issue with end users
combining GPL software with non-GPL software in any manner they
like. What can't be done is combining GPL software with
non-GPL software, and distributing (copying) it.

I think this case is covered by the GPL FAQ <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs>, but I'm not quite sure if I understood it well enough: The libraries my CMM needs are distributed with the OS, my source code does not contain them, but even if the executable does, my package is still GPL compatible? Did I get this right?

I think that this exception certainly covers your situation.

In some ways it doesn't matter even if it doesn't,
if you aren't providing the non-GNU components.

There's nothing to stop someone creating a GPL
piece of software that can't do anything without some
other (3rd party) proprietary library, it just isn't very useful
from a Free Software point of view. What they can't
do is take some GPL software and combine/package it with
a proprietary library and distribute it, since the
package is a derivative work, and the license for the
GNU component has the condition that derivative works
be distributed under GNU compatible conditions.