[argyllcms] Re: Ambient light temperature, calibration verification and ICM profile application

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:08:49 +1000

David H. Vree wrote:
Thanks for the answer(s). I guess my real, but perhaps irrelevant question is why don't the video card manufacturers deal with the profile at the hardware level, then the O/S would only have responsibility for loading the profile into the video card -- and we wouldn't need color managed apps anymore. Or is there something else I don't get!

A profile doesn't change the color, it characterizes the device.
So loading it into the video card wouldn't/couldn't do anything.

Some high end displays do have hardware that allows the display
to emulate other colorspaces. There is no standardized way of accessing
this hardware, and such an arrangement is much less flexible than
software, which can use different transformations for different
screen elements.