[argyllcms] Re: Ambient light temperature, calibration verification and ICM profile application

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:03:50 -0700

On Monday 13 April 2009 08:34:47 am Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> > Maybe a user-level Linux CMS system is 5 years in the future at least,
> > and  one ought to fence off the area with a "Geeks at work, enter at
> > your own peril" sign, and direct the rest of the human race to a nice
> > safe Macintosh ?
>
> Dear Edmund,
>
> The user-level Linux CMS is called Oyranos and it has all chances to
> be available in KDE 4.3.
>
> Alexandre

Some more detail.  It is possible that Oyranos and the KDE4 System Settings
Kolor Manager module could be supported in KDE 4.3 but the support will be
limited to setting CM policies and configuring monitor profiles (including LUT
not get promoted to 4.3 it will almost for sure be in 4.4 and at that point it
likely will have additional functionality.   KDE4 point releases happen about
every 6 month and 4.3 will be released in July.

OpenICC and OpenPrinting are working on extending Oyranos/Kolor Manger to
include printing and it looks like there will be a Google Summer of Code
project to do much of this work.  In addition, there may be other GSoC
projects this year to implement support for other devices (scanners and
cameras are possible) in the Oyranos CMS and by extension in the KDE4 System
Setting Kolor Manager module.

It could be 5 years before this is fully mature but I think this is an overly
pessimistic assessment.   Users could start seeing parts of a high level UI
for the CMS that are functional and end user accessible later this year.  For
example the Oyranos/Kolor Manager stuff works nicely for monitor CM
configuration at this time and is user friendly although there is additional
work that would improve this some more but the work to do this is fairly
minor.

Kolor Manager was a GSoC 2008 project and the code is now in KDE svn.
The work on Oyranos and Kolor Manager is intended to move this stuff from the
geek zone to the user zone and this is starting to happen.  Users who are
feeling a little bit geeky and are running KDE4 can get a preview by
installing Oyranos, Kolor Manager (in KDE svn playground), xcalib and
optionally iccexamin.

For some perspective keep in mind that it was not that long ago that you had
to be a programmer to get most of this to work at all.  So there has been a
lot of progress and we are starting to see other groups like OpenPrinting, KDE
and XOrg cooperating, to some extent at least, in the effort.

Hal