[argyllcms] Re: Ambient light temperature, calibration verification and ICM profile application

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:43:06 -0500

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 14:35 +0200, Martin Weberg wrote:
> 2009/4/8 David H. Vree >:
> > I still don't *really* understand why we need color management in the
> > applications when Argyll loads the created profile into the video card!
>
> Only the vcgt tag from calibration is loaded, not the profiling data.
>
> Martin Weberg

How this works under Linux is clear to me.  But the details of how it
works under Windows isn't.   There is a monitor calibration/display
stored in
 /windows/system32/spool/drivers/color
and I think the vgct is loaded from it into the video card when you
login.  Then presumably color aware applications like Photoshop know
what to look at to find the right file from which to read the display
profile.
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University