[argyllcms] Re: Ambient light temperature, calibration verification and ICM profile application

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:28:50 -0500

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 11:28 -0400, David H. Vree wrote:
> Thanks for the answer(s).  I guess my real, but perhaps irrelevant
> question is why don't the video card manufacturers deal with the
> profile at the hardware level, then the O/S would only have
> responsibility for loading the profile into the video card -- and we
> wouldn't need color managed apps anymore.   Or is there something else
> I don't get!
>

> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > This has probably already been responded  to, but the profile is not
> > loaded into the video card.  The calibration data is loaded into the
> > video card.  This is just one part of the profile file.

I don't really  know the complete answer to your question, but I do know
that the distinction between calibration and profiling seems to be basic
to the subject of color management.   Try looking at the book `Real
World Color Management', for example.  Perhaps someone else will give a
detailed answer about why the entire profile is not stored in the
videocard.