[arachne] Re: What did I miss & when??

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:58:28 +1000

Hi Udo,

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 02:55:09 +0000, Udo Kuhnt wrote:

>>  Udo, is SSL and JS out of the question while Arachne is coded 16-bit ?

> I don't think so. Most so-called 32bit code uses very few true 32bit
> operations. Enhanced DR-DOS even does 64bit integer operations using
> 16bit instructions in several places.

> So before trying to port all of Arachne to 32bit, we should at least
> check whether porting the necessary libs to 16bit wouldn't be easier.

   That makes a lot of sense.   :)

> Of course, there might be memory constraints, but that would probably
> only affect particular web pages, not the whole code.

> When trying to target a feature that could be done with relatively
> small effort - pick a fight that one could win, so to speak - I would
> rather go for porting the OpenSSL library than a JS engine.

  I know the DOS ports of Lynx, Links and Elinks all handle SSL.  I use
all three in MS-DOS. But I have no idea about how they have been built.
I am using noise.exe as the random number generator, which seems to
work.

> IIRC, OpenSSL even supports WATTCP, so it might be a good starting
> point.

    Are you in a position to have a look at it ?  Do you even have the
time, what with your involvement in Enhanced DR-DOS ?

Regards,
         Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com