[arachne] Re: What did I miss & when??

  • From: "Udo Kuhnt" <048321887-0001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 02:55:09 +0000

From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>

>  But I believe, tho' I'm willing to be corrected, that much of the extra
>features we have been talking about may require porting all that to
>32-bit code. Not a trivial task, I gather.

>  But I am hardly the one to give definitive answers, here.
> I understand that Udo has done some remarkable things in an enhanced
> DOS, so maybe Udo can better answer than I.

>  Udo, is SSL and JS out of the question while Arachne is coded 16-bit ?

I don't think so. Most so-called 32bit code uses very few true 32bit
operations. Enhanced DR-DOS even does 64bit integer operations using
16bit instructions in several places.

So before trying to port all of Arachne to 32bit, we should at least
check whether porting the necessary libs to 16bit wouldn't be easier.

Of course, there might be memory constraints, but that would probably
only affect particular web pages, not the whole code.

When trying to target a feature that could be done with relatively
small effort - pick a fight that one could win, so to speak - I would
rather go for porting the OpenSSL library than a JS engine.

IIRC, OpenSSL even supports WATTCP, so it might be a good starting
point.

Regards,

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de