[arachne] Re: INSTALLING AND RUNNING FREEDOS

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:29:42 -0500

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 17:03 -0500, Sam Ewalt wrote:

> On Mon, December 15, 2008 10:36 am, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
>
> > Re-installed the FreeDOS OS.  As I was re-installing it I chose to skip
> > the option of installing a packet driver.  Installation of FreeDOS then
> > went smoothly.
> >
> > I have no idea as to how to get on the internet with FreeDOS with this
> > laptop because the idiots who designed it forgot to include a serial
> > port for one to hook up an external modem.  The internal modem is just a
> > brain-dead pseudo modem, aka Winmodem.  Don't know if it is possible for
> > FreeDOS to support my wireless card or my NIC.
> >
> > BTW, this laptop works just great on the internet when running Macpup
>

> Is Macpup connecting through the "brain-dead pseudo modem"? Or which
> other method?
>
> Sam Ewalt

Macpup will connect through the brain-dead pseudo modem.  Most of the
modern linux distros have drivers for the most common types of pseudo
modems nowadays.  The drivers are compiled into the kernel and need not
be installed manually.  Usually I connect through a wireless-g network
card.  Most of the modern linux distros will recognize many brands and
models and versions of wireless-g network cards.  Out there on the
internet there are many various user groups and forums for almost all of
the different flavors of linux.  The user groups maintain lists of nics
and wireless cards and modems, printers, scanners and other types of
hardware that they have tested and found to be compatible with their
respective flavors of linux.

Sam Heywood