[arachne] Re: INSTALLING AND RUNNING FREEDOS

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:36:38 -0500

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 00:06 -0500, Brian C. Murphy wrote:

> I bought a new laptop in good shape, a Compaq Presario 1200 a couple of
> days ago with a view to installing and trial runnning FREEDOS. I FDISKED
> the Compaq using FREEDOS FDISK 121 to establish the partitions and that
> worked fairly well.
>
> Then   I installed FreeDOs FROM the CD using the Compaq's CD drive.  The
> installation was fiddly as hell and took an hour compared to the typical
> 20 minutes it usually takes me to install PCDOS7-2000 in an empty
> computer. When I was all done Freedos refused to run.  Is this normal
> with FREEDOS or am I doing something wrong.  Replies from anyone who has
> successfully or unsuccessfull installed FREEDOS  would be appreciated.
>
> Brian Murphy
> BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Hi Brian:

I also acquired recently a Compaq laptop and installed FreeDOS on it.
The model I got was an Evo N800c.  I set it up as a dual boot system.
I used gpartd running in ram to set up and format my partitions on the
hard disk. I made a 768 MB 16 bit DOS partition at the beginning of my
hard disk.  On the remainder of my disk I set up a ext2 linux partition
and also a 512 MB linux swap partition.  Then I booted to a Macpup_4.11
live CD and installed that OS on my linux partition.  Macpup is a flavor
of Puppy_Linux.  It has the look and feel of a Mac OS.  No problem
installing the linux OS.  Had a problem on the first attempt at
installing the FreeDOS OS.  My machine froze up when I allowed the
installation CD (the FreeDOS version 1.0 live CD) to perform the option
of installing a packet driver.  Had to unplug the power and pull out the
battery to stop the freeze-up.  When I restarted the machine and
selected the option to boot to FreeDOS the machine would not boot.
Re-installed the FreeDOS OS.  As I was re-installing it I chose to skip
the option of installing a packet driver.  Installation of FreeDOS then
went smoothly.

I have no idea as to how to get on the internet with FreeDOS with this
laptop because the idiots who designed it forgot to include a serial
port for one to hook up an external modem.  The internal modem is just a
brain-dead pseudo modem, aka Winmodem.  Don't know if it is possible for
FreeDOS to support my wireless card or my NIC.

BTW, this laptop works just great on the internet when running Macpup

Sam Heywood