[arachne] Re: DOS only or?

  • From: "Ray Andrews" <randrews@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 20:18:08 -0800

On Thu, 8 May 2008 22:41:14 -0400 (EDT), Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve,

> I think that's more indicative that DOS simply can't do everything
> people need it to do.

Absolutely correct. But that only reinforces my point -- even though they
need Linux and use it. They still keep DOS around. Why? Obviously
because it still has its merits.

> So... *most* unix/Linux users are not also DOS users even though it
> might seem so judging by the microcosm of this mailing list.  ;-)

But I didn't claim that, I claimed the opposite -- that most DOS
users are Linux users.

Anyway, I'm now retiring from work on Arachne and it's long past time
I took another stab at Linux or BSD. What would you recomend?
Debian or Ubuntu sound good to me. I've also liked what I hear
about Slackware. Then there's BSD ...

I like things simple, functional, reliable, understandable and
*very* well documented. I've heard that the documentation with
Gentoo is fantastic. Glitz, pizzazz and whoop-de-doo showmanship
I don't want. And I tend to like to do things in the most
direct way even if it's superficialy a bit more difficult.

Regards,

Ray Andrews
.

-- Arachne;A3;1d