[arachne] Re: Arachne and Open Suse?

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 05:02:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, January 19, 2011 5:12 am, Udo Kuhnt wrote:

However, I do not quite understand why you do not simply get a new
hard disk for your DOS/XP machine and restore the last backup instead
of trying to run Arachne in Linux. Setting up Arachne in Linux is
definetely going to take more time than replacing a hard disk, so
unless you have planned the migration to Linux before, IMO this would
be the preferred solution to your problem.

Hi Udo,

Thank you for your kind reply. I did indeed get a new hard drive
for the XP machine. Alas, I had no backup and could not restore
XP, having no CD and no registration key. (used machine) I had
often thought of really trying Linux, so having a computer with
no OS, I thought it time to give it try and wound up with Open Suse.

I am quite happy with it as it is running circles around XP on the
same hardware and was up and running easily even for a non-technical
person like myself. Open Suse installed itself for the most part and
worked "automagically" with my DSL modem without any manual configuration.

I may, indeed, set up another DOS computer for the fun of it and will
ask for some advice about that at a later date.

Just wanted to see if there was any feasibility of actually running
Linux Arachne easily and I guess there really isn't at my present
level of understanding. I did see that there was a new version of
Linux Arachne on Glenn's site dated  March 10, 2010, (V 1.95 GPL)
so thought maybe that would run "right out of the box" in Linux without
running a DOS version in an emulator.

Has anybody run this March 10, 2010 Linux Arachne upgrade?

Sam Ewalt