[arachne] Re: Arachne and Open Suse?

  • From: Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:28:41 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Ron Clarke wrote:

I like Arachne because I'm familiar with it, having used it for years
and I basically hate new software with thousands of feature I don't
need.

 I am exactly the same. I find Sylpheed simple to configure and
customise.

I've been using Pine for so many years, it's second nature. I've never found a mail program I like better... though I did slog along with Netscape 3.04 for a couple of years when I was still dual booting DOS/Linux.

I run Pine on FreeBSD, but access it through an xterm on Linux. Any web page links in e-mail can be "clicked" which open Midori running on FreeBSD, displaying on Linux. PDF attachments? Open in xpdf on FreeBSD, but display on the X display in Linux. I can watch a video running on FreeBSD from Linux, but I don't have any speakers on the FreeBSD machine so if I want to hear the video I copy it over to the Linux machine and play it there. There's a way to run the sound on FreeBSD and hear it out of the Linux connected speakers, but I haven't bothered to figure that out (yet?).

The "why" of it... (as I'm sure some might wonder) is that I can leave the low-powered Via C7 1.5 Ghz FreeBSD machine (<35 watts max) running 24/7 with web server, mail server, news server, etc. and during power outages, I can shut the AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ Linux machine down, and run the "essential" stuff off UPS battery for much longer.

  I also have an Oregon Scientific weather station running:
http://wizard.dyndns.org/weather/ and a wireless webcam which works when it feels like it. I guess the wifi signal from the cam is marginal for passing through a refrigerator.
http://wizard.dyndns.org/

All this *could* be run from a single computer... but hey, multiple machines just make it all the more fun, right? '-) Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --