[apt4ssx8] Re: APT usage

  • From: Dan Falck <ddfalck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:23:08 -0700

Hi Kent,
On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Kent A. Reed wrote:

> I am a bit confused. I thought Linode was a specific VPS hosting service
> offering only Linux distributions. Amazon web services, of which Amazon EC2
> is a key portion, is similar (if you squint!) and allows one to build
> instances of Windows Server as well.

From what I can tell, Linode uses EC2 and charges a flat fee. I might
be wrong on which cloud provider they are using, but I thought I saw a
mention of it somewhere. I like that they charge a flat fee- it
creates a limit on the damages I could possibly incur if something
goes haywire. Maybe later, when I get the training wheels off, I will
use one of the cloud providers direct.

> Obviously, FreeCAD is an interactive program, but have you thought about
> running APT360 as an on-demand service where you point your browser to a
> local .apt file which is then uploaded, processed, and the cl-file or g-code
> file or whatever emailed back or offered for download?

Last night, I did a little experiment and am running APT360 on the
linode server with a python websocket script (using python_tornado). I
have a crude html front end to interact with it and can paste in apt
code and I get gcode back in a textarea box. It's too crude and not
secure enough to publish the url here (sorry, I'm a newbie at this
network/html stuff), but I see now that it can be done.
I set up FreeCAD on the linode because you can run it's python libs
directly for geometric and vector/matrix operations. This gives access
to the underlying OpenCascade CAD kernel for things like file format
conversion (STEP and STL file conversion for instance) and reordering
of geometry (sorting lines and arcs in a profile/wire for later
processing by CAM). It's simple to do something like 'import FreeCAD'
in python and just start using it's functions.
Dan